Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Love in black and white

I swiped this meme from my dear and beloved Dixie, who in turn swiped it from Traveller One. Those of you who know me well are aware that I would absolutely die without reading material, and the better the book the happier I am. Books are friends, and I love my friends.

Meme instructions: Look at the list of books below. Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, underline the ones on your book shelf, and place parentheses around the ones you've never even heard of. Extra commentary by me on select novels.

The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown... Read it twice, looking forward to the movie. "Angels and Demons" was a more fascinating read, though -- at least for me.
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger... The hero and the anti-hero rolled into one frustrated teenager. I love you, JD Salinger.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams... I believe I was high the first time I read this book. It's interesting and often quite funny, but I'm not really into that kind of fiction. Maybe if I had an Alice B Toklas brownie...
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald... One of my favorites. It takes a bit of patience to get into if you're not a Fitzgerald efficianado, but it's well worth the effort.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee... It's always been a favorite, and now I can't even hear or read the title without thinking about my friend Finch, whose mother was a fan of the book as well.
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
(His Dark Materials) - Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling... I'm sorry, Dix, but I am so not into Harry Potter. Chicks dig him, but I don't.
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Animal Farm - George Orwell... "Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others." Need I say more?
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller... John Yossarian is my hero.
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien... I heart Bilbo Baggins.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
Lord of the Flies - William Golding... Disturbing even today but one of the greatest novels ever written.
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin... Flawless. Timeless. I heart Elizabeth Bennet.
1984 - George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling... See "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez... Richly-tapestried storytelling. One of my all-time favorites.
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden... Okay, I cried when I read this. They were manly-man tears, but I cried. I love this book.
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold... The single-most riveting book I've read in the past few years; and, even though it opened old wounds from my own childhood, I couldn't put it down.
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte... As much as I love this book, I always wanna smack the shit out of Catherine and Heathcliff.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis... I haven't read it since I was nine. Maybe I'll read it again this weekend.
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides... I love his writing, and this is a book that you fall into. Lush and inviting.
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell... Bought it but still have to read it.
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte... The ultimate class-war novel.
Atonement - Ian McEwan... Once upon a time Ian McEwan dreamed and when he did, he channeled Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Beautiful writing, interesting characters.
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Safon
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway... I loved this book when I was 13. Now I hate it. Sharks 1, Diego 0.
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood... Not enough sex.
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath. Every time I have a suicidally bad day, I take this book off the shelf and wonder what she would have done with a bottle of Prozac.
Dune - Frank Herbert... UGH. No fuckin thanks.

4 comments:

Dixie said...

You and I are in agreement over Dune. I'll pick reading cereal boxes over reading that stuff.

Jake, Jake, Jake. How could you have ever loved The Old Man and the Sea? Here's story: Old man gets up. Pees. Gets into boat. Rows. Rows. Rows. Pees. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Fishes. Catches fish. Rows. Rows. Rows. Rows. Shark eats fish. Rows. Rows. Rows. Rows. Pees. Goes to bed.

I need to sit and read some more. I've been knitting a lot lately so my quiet time is sucked up with that.

JT said...

LMAO! Yes... but you have to understand that when you're 13, it's an interesting story. Even if he does come home with nothing.

Miss Kim said...

Haha! I'm a chick but I don't think I'll ever read Harry Potter! Read Life of Pi- it's very interesting!

JT said...

Hi, Traveller, and thanks for the suggestion!

"Chicks dig (Harry Potter)" is an an homage of sorts to my long friendship with Dixie.

I would tell her about something I was doing or wearing or whatever, and if she liked it, she would say, "Chicks dig that," and it never failed to delight me.

I dig Dixie =)